Inexplicable
0 comment Wednesday, May 14, 2014 |
It is written, minus the couple of panels that are results pending. Today is D-Day. I will give a draft to GrAdvisor before I go home.All I have left is one measly section of the discussion. This section (will) discuss the most important finding of the paper. The elusive finding that people in our little sub-sub-sub-sub field have been speculating wildly about for decades. I have found it.And I seem to be incapable of writing about it. WTF? I can wax poetic about all the other (slightly less) interesting stuff. Several pages of discussion on that. But I have nothing to say about the MostImportantFinding. What's wrong with me?Really, I think that the finding is just so blindingly elegant that it speaks for itself. You see the data and there it is. The conclusion is so bleeding obvious that I don't have to analyze/discuss the hell out of it in order for you to see it. It will jump off the page and hit you over the head with a baseball bat. So what the fuck is there to discuss? I hypothesized that I might get this result which will tell us X. I got that result; ergo, X.But this will not do. I have to discuss this result because it is the MostImportantFinding. To say nothing further about it would mean that the reader might forget about the MIF while reading my discussion on the other findings. Usually I write a discussion section to answer the "what does it mean?" question. In this case it means "we always wondered about X, and now we know". This does not seem very interesting. I can't think of any further implications or speculations. (I'm sure there are some, but they are eluding me at the moment.) I think I'm getting myopic about this finding.Ugh. I hate writer's block.

Labels: