Fun with Fucking-with-people's-assumptions
0 comment Thursday, May 1, 2014 |
Female Colleague: "Oh, AA, I'm glad you're here - I was just telling Male Colleague about Awesome Body-Bashing Sport and I think you're probably the only other person in the lab who knows anything about it."Male Colleague: "What? AA doesn't know anything about Awesome Body-Bashing Sport! How could she know anything about it? She didn't grow up in [Region of this Country Where it is More-Commonly Played]." (As an aside, Male Colleague, who knows next to zero about Awesome Body-Bashing Sport, is not from that region either.)AA: "No, I didn't grow up there, but I am interested in Awesome Body-Bashing Sport and I do know a thing or two about it."MC: "Yeah, sure, but you only know what your boyfriend has told you about it, because he likes it."AA: "It is true that BH is also a fan and that I have some learned some things about Awesome Body-Bashing Sport as a direct result of his interest and experience in it. However, I became interested in this sport originally in high school, long before I knew BH.*"Furthermore, you may want to sit down because this might come as a bit of a shock to you: Surprisingly, my vapid little girly-brain is not just a vacuum to be used as a repository for BH's knowledge, interests and opinions. It actually is capable of thoughts, interests, and opinions of its very own. Even on matters of things like (gasp!) sports!** "FC: "Yeah, you know AA actually knows more about Awesome Body-Bashing Sport than I do - I can name all the players on our national team, but AA knows more about the game."MC: *boggles*AA: "Dumbass."What kills me is that MC has no problem with the fact that my girly-brain is pretty good at science; he even defers to me on professional and scientific matters. But to acknowledge that I might know about and be interested in non-"girly" stuff as opposed to just parroting whatever's been deposited in my cerebral vacuum by the men in my life is tantamount to hell freezing over.*eyeroll**The local university had a women's team and I was invited to play for them since I was taking classes there - I didn't end up getting to play due to liability issues since I was still in high school but this is neither here nor there with respect to my interest in the game. My alma mater also had a men's team and I watched their games.**Believe you me, I would not haul my ass out of bed at stupid o'clock on a Saturday to see the live broadcasts if I were not genuinely interested of my own accord.

Labels: