Popcorn for PhizzleDizzle
1 comment Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |
PhizzleDizzle "lost her junk" so to speak over my popcorn recipe listed as a favorite snack in the 5 Things Meme.I just made me some (and yes, it was insane!) so I thought I'd post the recipe while I'm thinking about it so PhizzleDizzle (and whoever else thinks they're crazy enough) can partake in the madness.I will not be posting pretty pictures of the process because a) it's popcorn after all -- you know what it looks like, and b) my digital camera gave up the ghost about 5 years ago and I am too cheap/broke to replace it so I shoot 35mm...which doesn't lend itself well to this medium.Ingredients:Cooking oil - I use extra virgin olive oil because this is what I keep in large quantities in my kitchen. If you choose to go this route, keep in mind that the smoke point for olive oil is very close to the temperature at which the corn pops, so you must be quick about putting your kernels in as soon as it's hot enough - no faffing around! If you don't want to worry about this, use some other kind of oil, the variety really isn't that important.Popping corn - I prefer a variety called "Black Jewel" because it's pretty -- the kernels really are black in color -- and because the hulls are pretty thin so you can also eat the half-popped stuff in the bottom of the pan without breaking your teeth. Trust me, you'll want to.Brewer's yeast - or something called "nutritional yeast"...if there's a difference I can't tell you what it is. You can get it in bulk at any health food store. It's yellow and flaky and can be stored in a sealed dry container pretty much indefinitely. Pelletized baker's yeast is NOT a suitable alternative.Curry powderDried seaweed flakes - my supermarket was out of this last time I was there so I am currently using some kind of South Asian "seasoning mix" containing sesame seeds, seaweed, miso and ???. It's also good, but not as pretty as the little green flakes.Sea saltButterGarlic PowderOnion powderCider vinegar - alternatives include balsamic vinegar, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Feel free to experiment.Any other dried herbs/spices that appeal to you - I've used cayenne (spicy!) with good results, and this most recent batch was made with Spanish hot smoked paprika (expensive, but so worth the difference in just about everything I've used it in).To make the madness:Throw 3-4 kernels into a deep soup pan. Pour in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan to a depth of one kernel.Cover the pan and light burner to high.DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN! Listen carefully for your "test kernels" popping. Once they have, pour in enough popcorn to cover bottom of pan in a single confluent monolayer of kernels and replace the lid -- quick! -- before they start popping.Shake the pan every 10-15 seconds.Remove from heat when you hear a silence of 2-3 seconds between pops.Open the pot. Liberally sprinkle popped corn with yeast, curry powder, and seaweed. Also some salt, and whatever other dry herbs and spices you're using.Melt some butter in the microwave with a dash of garlic and onion powder. Stir in a splash of cider vinegar, then pour over the popcorn.Close the lid and shake it up.Go nuts!

Labels: ,


add comment ?

Blogger aarongrey112 said...

Hi, Nice site I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Would it be possible if I contact you through your email? Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112 at gmail.com

at July 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM